I have to be honest, this little experiment started out as a slow cooker version of baked french toast – you know the kind you let soak overnight. Well, I thought, since it was slow cooking, I didn’t really need to do the soaking. Instead, I just put all my ingredients in the pot and crossed my fingers. What I got as a result was far better than my expectations. I would say it resembles more of a sweet bread pudding, but much healthier! I cut out the “bad” stuff and used wheat bread, soy milk, egg beaters and Splenda brown sugar and cinnamon – your family will never be able to tell!!
Being like a bread pudding makes this healthy dish more of a treat… and kids LOVE treats! What about this “dessert” for breakfast? Do you think your kids would get excited about that? Who wouldn’t… sessert is MY favorite meal!
If sweets for breakfast aren’t your thing, this dish is also perfect for brunches and dessert too. Pair it with some sausages and eggs and call it breakfast for dinner!
- 2 Cups Apples – peeled and diced (granny smith or pink lady)
- 1 Cup Egg Beaters (egg whites)
- 2 Cups Light Vanilla Soy Milk
- 4 Cups Wheat Bread pulled into small peices (I used cracked wheat sourdough)
- 1½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Cup Splenda Brown Sugar
- Toss apples, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Place bread in slow cooker.
- Add apple mixure and stir.
- Mix egg beaters and soy milk together in a bowl.
- Pour liquid over bread and apples.
- Press down until all bread has been soaked with liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
This really is such a super easy recipe and takes just minutes to prepare. Even your kids will enjoy helping with this one as you get to “smush” the bread down into the milk mixture (if you are brave enough, let them use their hands! -of course washed little hands, lol!) If you do the dicing, they can assemble the whole thing. Good family fun. Enjoy!
More Slow Cooker Recipes