Easter is a great time to teach kids one of those hands-on, life long cooking skills; how-to hard-boil an egg. Every year at Easter we hard-boil eggs for decorating and every year I remind my kids how to do it until they get old enough to remember. The question always remains, what do we do with a dozen to two dozen eggs after we’ve decorated our hearts out with a gazillion different egg decorating options? Over the years we’ve simply peeled and eaten, we’ve made many different flavors of deviled eggs and thankfully, two out of my three kids love egg salad sandwiches.
Now, we’ve added a little twist into our post Easter hard-boiled egg eating activities; it’s the Grilled Egg and Cheese Sandwich, which is great for a quick breakfast grab and go or for lunch. Either way, we are glad to have one more recipe to use as we eat up all of our decorated fun.
- 2 slices oat bran bread
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 3 tablespoons Cabot sharp cheese, reduced fat
- ⅛ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Black pepper
- Peel the hard-boiled egg and slice.
- Stir the dry mustard, paprika, a pinch of black pepper and the shredded cheese together.
- On one of the slices of bread lay out the slices of egg.
- Top the egg with the shredded cheese and add the other slice of bread to create a sandwich.
- Toast the sandwich in a grilled cheese fashion on a frying pan with a very thin coating of butter.
- Cook the sandwich over low heat on one side until it’s toasted, flip and cook the other side until it is also toasted.
- Be certain the cheese is fully melted before serving.
- These sandwiches are great for breakfasts on the run or lunch time fun.