Do your kids like to help in the kitchen? Here are some inspiring story books to read to (or with) your child that feature kids playing an active role in the cooking process, or exploring the world around them through food. Afterwards, try making a snack together — whether it’s popping popcorn or baking an apple pie, it’s sure to create lots of great memories!
1. How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World – I love how this book takes readers on a whimsical trip to various countries using fantastical forms of transportation to find ingredients to make apple pie, if, by chance, the market is closed. Make sure you have apple pie (or the ingredients to make one) after reading this, because you will be craving it by the end of the story!
2. Spaghetti And Meatballs For All! – Math teachers in particular will love this book as it presents real-life problems of seating arrangements for a spaghetti dinner while kids explore concepts of area and perimeter. A great book for introducing problem-solving skills!
3. Everybody Cooks Rice – This book describes a wide range of different cultures and how they all cook and prepare rice — but in different ways. Carrie is sent on a mission to find her little brother in time for dinner, and as she visits her neighbors (each represents a different ethnic heritage) she finds they are all preparing dinner using rice. Recipes are included in the back of the book.
4. Cora Cooks Pancit – Cora has always been given the “kid jobs” of helping in the kitchen, until one day when her older siblings are out and she has a chance to cook with her mother to make Pancit. With her mother’s help, Cora finally gets to do some of the grown up tasks.
5. The Popcorn Book – If you have a kid who loves to eat popcorn, this book will teach all about the history and science of popcorn in a delightfully entertaining way! After reading the story, go make some popcorn together!
Have a favorite story book about kids in the kitchen that I forgot to add?? Leave a comment and tell us about it!