For a fun time with the kids this Summer, make a story book come to life by re-creating a themed recipe inspired by a story book!
This post is part of our Story Bites series where we feature some of our favorite story books for kids along with a kid-friendly recipe to make at home. For today’s activity, we chose the book Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin!
About the Book
Dragons Love Tacos is a cute and silly story book geared towards kids ages 3-5. My 10 year old really enjoyed reading this book to my 5 year old and they both chuckled at the illustrations showing how much dragons love tacos — ALL kinds of tacos! That is, unless there is spicy salsa!! Dragons do NOT like spicy salsa, and that can cause some serious problems if you are trying to lure dragons by hosting a taco party…
Recipe Idea — Make Turkey Tacos!
After reading Dragons Love Tacos, the kids were so happy to host a build-your-own taco play date with their favorite toy dragons! First, you will want to gather your ingredients:
- Ground Turkey (browned and seasoned with your favorite taco seasoning)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- MILD Salsa (super important if there are any dragons attending)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Diced Tomatoes
- Whole Grain Taco Shells
Invite the kids to gather up their toy dragons. Next, build and eat tacos together! Beware of any spicy salsa!!!
Other Activities Inspired by Dragons Love Tacos:
- Unscramble Taco Flavored Words with this Free Printable from Teacher Vision
- Make Your Own Pretend Tacos Craft — Build your own pretend tacos using construction paper shells and glue on pieces of construction paper toppings.
- Make a Screaming Dragon Craft from a paper cup!
*Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links.